Thursday, October 2, 2008

Unschool...school...shmool

I am in the process of adjusting my medication...the weird consequences are migraines, jitters and sleepiness. I'm functioning at about 30% capacity. For awhile I was still trying to "do it all" . Eddie said, "Quit it. Only do the critical. The priority is getting healthy."

This is humbling, and kinda fun. It's like playing hooky from life.

So yesterday I took the kids to the Living History Farms in Littleton. We pet a horse. We talked to a dude dressed in 1860's garb about threshing wheat. The kids gave it a try. Then we watched a blacksmith make a door hinge. E has new career aspirations, by the way. I haven't done the market research, but I'm pretty certain that the demand for Blacksmiths today is minimal. I haven't broken the news to E yet.

We also met Aunt Gretch and Elie and Addie at the park for lunch...and because Aunt Gretch is the Super Hero of Junk Food we also stopped to get root beer floats.

It was good. It was a field trip. We learned that an acre is approximately what 1 man and a horse can plow in a day. That is SCHOOL in my book.

Today, we practiced our music. Went to Wal-mart to order new glasses for Em, after she declared she couldn't see the notes on the page. (Uh, missed that one!) We came home, ate a healthy lunch (including summer sausage and Carmel corn) and invited some friends over for a play date. 9 kids running around in the back yard is what those public schoolers call socialization. I call it SCHOOL!

I'm pretty sure this way of life is not sustainable...but it does have its perks.

1 comment:

Matthew Crocker said...

Gretchen's bit of wisdom for the day: Don't take life/school/houseowork to seriously. Let your children be children.