Thursday, October 9, 2008

10 Years





Guess who's kid free for 3 day and 2 nights?
Yep. We've unloaded the chillens on my in-laws and are officially checked into our hotel off the plaza in Santa Fe.
Happy 10 year anniversary to us!
Santa Fe is the Boulder of the South West. If you are a politically liberal, artistically bent, homosexual this is the city for you. Truthfully, I'm enjoying it quite a lot and I'm a conservatively voting straight person.
It's the art.
And the weather.
And the architecture.
It's the mocha spiked with chili
and the company of a bald guy of whom I am particularly fond.
Here's me showing my gypsy / hippy side:
The beauty of this place speaks to me.
I read a line in a book once that went something like this, "There is a beauty that heals and restores all it comes in contact with, and there is a beauty that kills and destroys." I think its true. The "Photoshopped" girls on the cover of Us Weekly, and Playboy - well they're beautiful, but somehow the beauty is soul-sucking.
The beauty of this place is not like that. It restores. How can an artist create beauty with a bunch of yellow and lavender oil paints and a palate knife? From a foot away the canvas looks like a smear of color, but from six feet away a landscape unfolds. Remarkable. Bold strokes. Vivid color. And somehow, it heals and restores.
Tonight we're on a mission to discover fabulous green chili and cactus margaritas. Wish us luck. Never mind. We don't need it - not here. We've got 2 and a half days left in this beautiful city and ten good years of marriage under our belts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I know you're having a great time in Sante Fe. I adore that town. I agree, there is something old and sacred that speaks to me when I am there. I mourn that I don't know you're husband or kids or anything about you since I left Evergreen. How do we fix that? Can a friendship be reborn? love, Heather

Anonymous said...

ack! I really do know the difference between your and you're. Please, my english speciality friend, don't kick me to the curb for my error!

Heather

stephaniejwood said...

Friendship can be reborn...I'm sure of it. I'd love to re-get to know you.

Matthew Crocker said...

Is it just me or does Eddies' head look a bit like one of those pumpkins? Congrats on 10 years, big sis, I love you.

Elizabeth said...

I'll admit it, I'm a "lurker"...i'm a friend of Jen McHam's, a friend of your sis Gretchen....I LOVE your blog and I really love the beauty description. Good stuff...