Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Private School

This morning I went to visit a private Christian school. I really liked it! But there are some logistical hurdles. They look like this: $$$$$$$

The easiest educational option for me is to send my kids to public school. We could do the school bus and the whole she-bang. Unfortunately, our "home" school is not really in our neighborhood at all. The brilliant folks at Adams 12 decided to ship kids from our neighborhood South to a Title 1 elementary school. Think low income, government subsidized lunch programs and CRAPPY test scores. Yes, I'm generalizing, and applying unfair stereo types. But..ah, sorry, I am NOT sending my kids to that school.

My next easiest school option is to try to get my kids transferred to another public elementary school. The school is okay, but it's crowded. My kids would be in classes with close to 30 students. And that, in my humble opinion, is not optimal, even for a great teacher.

Plus, to pull off this transfer I'd have to jump through numerous hoops, blind-folded and with one hand tied behind my back. I can get sorta feisty where my children's well being is concerned - I could jump through hoops. I just don't want to. It reeks of bureaucracy, and stupidity, and wasted tax dollars. Oh yeah, then I get snotty attitudes from school district folks who find out I'm homeschooling. Nice. Someone should tell the superintendent's administrative assistant that she can give me her attitude about homeschooling when the school she proposes my children attend is delivering more than 40 out of 100 students reading proficiently at grade level.

See my dilemma? I have a bad attitude about public schools.

Now, hold the phone. I'm not saying kids in public schools are bad, or their parents are bad for sending them. I'm not even saying the teachers are bad - many are good. I know many parents find that public school is a good option for their families. Many teachers feel a calling on their lives to work in the public schools. That's fine.

I AM saying that the bureaucracy drives me batty.

Here's a little figure to make your head spin: It costs the school district apx. 8K per child per year of education. It's not unheard of to have around 30 kids per class in elementary school. Now the private school I looked at today charges a little over 4K a year for tuition, but it actually costs them 6K (they make-up the difference with fund-raising). The teacher to student ratio is 1:10. The curriculum is rigorous and prepares kids for college.

Hmmm....how could this be?

Now I have public school teacher friends who say that this is because public schools have to be equip to meet the needs of every child - even those with very high levels of special needs. Granted. But still...the system is totally inefficient. It doesn't equip teachers or kids to be successful. It needs to be overhauled. So there. I said it. It's out. And no, I don't particularly want to be part of the solution. Yes, I do just want to gripe about it. In all likelihood I won't be attending any PTO meetings for an Adams 12 Five Star School in the near future. Unless, of course, I end up having to eat humble pie and and my words along with it.

1 comment:

Jennifer McHam said...

I'm with you. And I could get on a whole new soap box - GET THE STINKIN' GOVERNMENT OUT OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS - But alas, I digress. Good luck! I'm glad I don't have to worry about it yet...