Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Does it count?

The cloud of depression hasn't quite lifted; it's lifting. I have hope. But I probably have 3 weeks left until normal sets in, and the drugs are working at their full potency. And now I have a nasty cold and have almost lost my voice. I feel cruddy. And the kids are at varying stages of recovery from the same nasty cold.

It's trying my patience, this being unwell. I want to do something; a lot of somethings actually. But I simply cannot.

We started school in late July so that we could take the month of December off school. Now I've frittered away several weeks of our fluff with my being sick. I keep thinking, "At some point we are going to have to return to our regularly scheduled programming." I keep thinking that...but so far we are miles away from pulling it off. It's hard to teach when you can't talk.

So what have I been doing? I've rocked a sick baby. I've read stories to my nearly five year old - well whispered them. I've made a pie with my daughter - she read the recipe, cut, stirred, measured and baked. E has read on his own, he's helped his brother play a phonics game. He's done math games on the computer and built a robot of his own design. This has been our school. I think it has value, but usually there is a level of academic rigor that we haven't even approached in the last 2 months.

Does it count? Is this school? Well, for now, it will have to be good enough. In fact, I think if I could let go of my perfectionist tendencies I might see that it's not only "good enough" it's just plain good. It's scary though. I keep thinking that they'll fall behind, and that I'm letting them down.

I've heard veteran homeschool moms say that there are seasons when school goes on the back burner. Sometimes life happens, and there is no choice. Without fail these moms say, "It's okay. Kid's catch up. God redeems the time." So for me, for today, I will walk by faith. I will trust that what little I am doing is enough. God will redeem the time.

No comments: