Friday, October 31, 2008

Pros and Cons

Yeah well, this one probably doesn't qualify as a blog. It's just a peek into my brain, and a sort of yellow sticky notes type of analysis. So read it if you want, and skip it if you couldn't give a rip.

Homeschool pros -

-We can do school in our jammies and eat pancakes at 9 AM
-The kids can wake up in the morning when they're rested
-Going to bed late isn't that big of deal
-We can take vacations/road trips whenever we feel like...in fact, we can take school on the road
-Field trips
-Those moments when I'm glad I got to be the one who was there to see my kids "get it".
-Great literature, independent learning, and school taylored to the needs of individual kids.

Homeschool cons -

-The reality of homeschooling is WAY less cool than the ideal. We try to cram as much stuff into the time when the baby is sleeping as possible. No breaks. No fun experiments. Just nose to the grindstone. I am a good teacher but I'm pulled in too many directions to provide the education I wish my kids could have.
-It IS hard to be the mom and the teacher.
-My older kids would benefit from structure, that, right now, I can't provide.
-My younger kids would love to have the Very Hungry Catipillar and Curious George read to them. Instead they get, Usbornes History of the World and Time Travellers.
-My house gets messy...homeschool messy.
-Those moments when I want to beat my head against the wall because of the interupption, or attitude, or the whatever...and yes, they are more common than I wish they were.

Private School Pros-

-Structure.
-Good teachers, who share our worldview, pouring into my children's lives.
-Friends are plentiful and easy to find. This is especially important for my extroverted eldest kiddo.
-Good education.
-Having to navigate social bummers (like being left out, and not getting the best grade in the class) in a safe environment.
-Less holes in their education than with homeschool (oops... I forgot to teach my 8 year old the months of the year.)
-HUGE stress reduction in not being the sole person responsible for my kids education.
-More time to focus on my little ones, and more time to take care of me (maybe)

Private School Cons-

-Structure; yep we'd have to plan our vacations around someone elses schedule, and save pancakes for the weekends.
-I miss out on teaching my kids.
-Money honey. It ain't cheap and I'd have to work to pay for tuition. I don't mind working I just don't want the baby to be in daycare all day.
-Huge change for my family...homeschooling is a lifestyle my kids are used to, and like. Frankly, as a kid, it's a pretty good gig - this being homeschooled.
-There is a risk that my kids could see Christianity as a culture (which it is), but miss out on the faith, relationship, knowing Jesus part of the equation.

No comments: