Wednesday, August 29, 2007

dumb stuff I do...

Today was Kindergarten Picnic. It's a chace for all the new kindergartners, and their siblings meet at a park to get to know each other before the big all school orientation.*

Last night I made GF cupcakes to bring to the picnic. This morning we scrambled to get our homeschool done before 10:30 - an impressive feat. I packed a gluten-free picnic lunch just in case there weren't GF options for my kids at the potluck. Then I packed Baby's diaper bag. By 10:20 everybody was dressed, shoed, matching, fed, relatively clean AND in their carseats ready to go. I didn't even forget the cupcakes and even had time to swing by the library to pick up books on hold. BE IMPRESSED - THIS IS VERY, VERY DIFFICULT TO PULL OFF.

So,feeling fairly cocky, I swagger into the library 3 kids and 1 baby in tow. And let me tell you, swaggering while holding the hand of three year old and carrying a carseat is not easy. I check out the library books and am driving out of the parking lot in 7 minutes all kids accounted for and securely fastened. I think to myself, "I am soo good."

This is where things go down hill.

We show up at the park and we are the only ones there. Suspicious!

While I'm waiting I get a phone call..."Hi, I was just at the library and I found your wallet; I wanted to let you know I have it and its safe."

"Thank you." I say, and we arrange a time for me to pick it up. I am thankful my wallet was safe but the the ORGANIZED vs. DIPPY Pendulum has just swung in the other direction. I am feeling significantly less cocky about my speedy library book pick-up.

At least I was the first one at the park...that kind of promptness should count for something right? Especially since I have 4 kids. Well, as it turns out, I did show up at the park promptly at 11 AM. It just happened to be the WRONG park. Punctuality is now null and void. Pendulum is maxing out on the DIPPY side.

Turns out a friend showed up at the same wrong park. We figured out where we were supposed to be and a lovely time was had by all. Cupcakes were delicious; and I am humbled.

*To the confused: yes we homeschool, but we are also a part of a publicly funded OPTIONS program. My kids attend "regular" school 1 day a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is why I love you. Amanda is so down to earth that I need a scatter-brained sis to make me feel better. Oh, and here is my blog address. Love to you and other 5