Friday, August 3, 2007

Deep Thoughts on Video Games and Boy Culture

I do not understand why video games are fun. Annoying? Yes. A waste of time? Absolutely! Fun? Not really.

But there are many who disagree, particularly those who have a XY chromosomal make-up. Guys, even little guys, dig driving around imaginary cars on imaginary race tracks, and defeating imaginary bad guys, and playing imaginary golf.

I've resigned myself to the fact that video games will be a part of my life. There are, after all, three in my family who have both a X and Y gene. So I caved. E got a X-Box (used) for his birthday. This is why I allowed it: video games are a part of boy culture( if you didn't know that you clearly don't have a 7 year old boy). And if I can get past the fact that I personally hate video games I can acknowledge that they are morally neutral. Do they pose danger? Yes. Are some games reprehensible? Uh-huh. Can kids get addicted? Yep - I think they can. But part of my job as a parent is to teach my children to have discernment in a culture that has both good and bad to offer. Bringing video games into our home begins the discussion. I can ask, "What is good? What is excellent? How much is enough?" I can engage my kids in thinking through their decisions and creating healthy boundaries. As they leave our home my kids will have to struggle with issues that are not black and white. They will have to learn to listen to the Spirit of God within them and respond to His leading and his Word. This Faith Walk is MESSY. And if I can 'walk it' with them while they are under my protection I think its better than throwing some arbitrary rules at them.

This doesn't mean that if I see video games causing undo trouble I won't be quick to pull the plug. And there IS part of me just wants to say, "They are a stupid waste of time and we won't allow them in our home." But by not allowing video games into our home I cut off my boys from one of the avenues they have to communicate with other boys. I want my kids to live in the world, but not be of the world. We did not choose to homeschool to home grow some cultural weirdos. We want to our kids to be winsome and culturally literate so that they can impact their world for Christ. And so E has an X-Box, which he can only play on weekends.

A week ago the neighbor kids were over when a storm hit a nearby city. The kids heard the flood warning alert on the radio and they were concerned. So E marched upstairs and told me about what they heard and pronounced, "We need to pray. Who's gonna pray?" The neighbor kids were startled, and bashful. But E and I quickly prayed and then the kids went down stairs to continue their game. E modeled for them something I think they had never seen. He showed them that,as Christians, we can take our troubled hearts and fears to God. He was totally unselfconscious and authentic. I was proud. And his actions caused me to consider how much I want to protect my kids from the "evils" of the world. My kids are bold and they have something to offer, I don't want to hide them away because I am afraid. Finding a balance between offering a safe-haven and and allowing my kids to engage their world is a constant struggle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool story