Sunday, August 26, 2007

Zucchini Based Meals and Protien Shakes

I think this is my 3rd post on zucchini. What does that say about me?

My itty-bitty garden has produced tons of zucchini. I 've given away a couple, but for the most part we've been eating them. I'm discovering that zucchini is very versatile vegetable. My family is discovering that their zucchini threshold is a lot lower than mine. This a list, to date, of all the zucchini recipes I've tried:

- Zucchini enchiladas
-Sausage and zucchini casserole
-Zucchini fritters
- Sauteed zucchini with tomatoes, onions and mushrooms
- Zucchini "apple" crisp
-Zucchini bread
-Antioxidant infused vegetable loaf (aka chocolate zucchini bread with chocolate chips)

The downside to having all this available and versatile produce is that it encourages me to bake. Since the zucchini ripened I've gained 6 lbs. Its like wearing large zucchini around on each thigh and one more on my belly. Not very attractive. So to counteract the zucchini bread thighs I've been trying drink a protein shake in the afternoon (the time of day when I usually go out to graze.) They don't taste too bad, but when I actually step back and evaluate what I'm putting into the shake even I am disgusted. Here is the recipe; I'll let you be the judge:

1 scoop of chocolate flavored egg protein
4-5 ice cubes
1 Tablespoon of flax meal (gotta get those Omega 3s)
1 tsp. psylium powder (boost the fiber)
1/2 a banana or a handful of frozen berries (an attempt to mask the flavor while adding anti-oxidants)

Blend until until smooth. Looks great; tastes like a milkshake gone awry.

No comments: