Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Week Later

A week ago we put our name on the "short list" of perspective parents for the 2 babies. Yesterday "they" were supposed to have met, and decided on a family. I'm hoping to hear from our social worker today or tomorrow. It is impossible to plan for the future when I don't know what is ahead. Silly decision about what sessions of swimming lessons to sign the kids up for, or what plants to buy for the flower bed in front are impacted by whether or not we will get these babies. I'm a planner - I like to have a plan; I don't necessarily like to follow the plan, but there is a certain security in knowing that there is a plan to fall back on. This defies planning. I read a verse the other day that was comforting.

"By faith, Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

If Abraham knew where he was going, if he knew that it would be the land of his inheritance, and better than he could imagine, it wouldn't have been faith. "Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see". I said I wanted to walk by faith, but somehow I thought I could manage it without the faith part. Faith isn't doing the safe or rational thing. Faith, by definition, requires risk. I'm no Abraham, but I think I understand a little how he must have felt as he left his homeland behind. I have no idea where we are "going" and I'm trying to obey, anyway.

No comments: