Friday, April 6, 2007

Adoption: Where the Rubber Meets the Road

Yesterday I talked with our social worker. There is a ten month old baby girl coming into care who needs a home. This little girl's birthmom is very pregnant, and will have her baby within the next couple of weeks. Our worker says that they will place the kids together. "Are we interested?"

First of all choosing to do foster-adoption (aka legal risk) is scary. Having four kids is a stretch. Adoption, in general, is met with curious glances, especially when the couple doing the adopting already has 3 biological kids. But adopting siblings eleven months apart?

I could mention the benefits of siblings being raised together, or I could say how I think having a big family will be fun. But the reality is that a pro-con chart is not going to tip the scales in favor of moving forward with this adoption. From a financial perspective this move is not defensible. It does nothing positive for our 401K, nor is there really much hope for the future. This is not a good decision if we are looking to get a full nights sleep - anytime in the next 2 years. This is not a good decision if I want to have time to read a book - anytime in the next 2 years.

This is "leap of faith" material - pure and simple. Can we count on the grace of God to see us through? Can we count on him to supply all of our needs? Do we trust that He has called us to this, and that he will never abandon us in the journey? Do we believe that children - no matter how they are brought to us, or how close in age - are always a blessing? Will we love our kids, give them the best of us, knowing they are likely to break our hearts? Are we willing to look freakish to the world because we want to know and obey the One who made us?

Regardless of our decision about these two little ones, these are question I need to answer. I could play it safe, or I could walk by faith, and I want to walk by faith. If these little ones are to be ours I'm praying that Eddie and I will have unity. I'm also doing the "Gideon Thing". Lord, give me a sign, okay one more, and one more. Make it obvious; I'm not that bright and I'm a bit of a weeny.

On your marks, get set....

No comments: