Saturday, April 21, 2007

That's Just Dumb...

I read a survey in Woman's Day that reported that something like 82% of women said that their highest goal for their child is to get a college education and subsequently have a successful career.

Do I want my kids to go to college? Yeah. Do I want them to have careers they enjoy? Sure. Is that my highest goal? NO WAY! The bar is set far too low. I want my kids to know and walk with God; I want them to live with integrity and passion. I want them to be blessed with friendships, and great marriages; I want them to experience the delight, and hard work of parenthood. I want them to be faithful stewards: to give generously, live faithfully, and invest in themselves and others. Its more important to me that my kids love to learn, than hold a degree. (though I gotta say college is fun, and I hope my kids choose to attend). My dreams are much bigger than a diploma and a steady paycheck.

So to the 82% I say, "Come on folks...That's the best you can do? That's all you want your your kids?" Seriously, that's just dumb.

No comments: