Friday, August 29, 2008

I hesitate to share, but...

This one is so, so weird that I hesitate to share it with you. But heck, I've already probably ruined my reputation with that washable marker on the forehead stunt. (For the record red washable marker isn't really washable. Well you can wash it but it does tend to stain the pigment of your children's skin) Remember our backyard olympics...well one of the events required bean bags. I don't have "traditional" bean bags on hand so I fabricated some out of some dried pinto beans and the socks that have mysteriously lost their mate. It worked great.

When clean up time came we apparently missed one of the "bean bags". It got tossed into our vegetable garden. Well, those dried beans you get from the store can sprout. In a sock, even. When I noticed the "bean bag" I went to pick it up and noticed that roots were holding it to the ground.

So, being the good homeschool mom that I am, we cut open the sock only to discover that the beans had sprouted some pretty healthy looking leaves. E dissected a couple of the bean sprouts and did a little research online about the parts of a bean plant. We never really finished our math lesson, but science got an interesting twist yesterday. We even took a little footage of the event.

Yes, we are that nerdy.

1 comment:

Matthew Crocker said...

I wish I could have done my school at under your teaching, very cool!