Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Culottes

Homeschool denim jumper ...applique farm animals to be added for a customized look.
culotte slip

fashion forward denim culotte


Some of you may not be familiar with this wardrobe essential. I say its high time you are introduced to this seasons must have item. Yes, it's: Culottes. I know it looks sophisticated and French, but please don't pronounce it that way. It must be pronounced in good old-fashioned midwestern American.




"What is this lovely garment?", you ask. Well, if you'd grown up attending Baptist summer camp you wouldn't have to inquire. You'd know. This was standard issue "casual" conservative Baptist ware. Oh, we were so cutting edge, daring to wear something that would perhaps reveal a knee cap.



Now I was apparently risque because I never wore the culotte slip. Heaven knows how transparent those thick twill culottes can sometimes be. I must have shocked the old fuddy-duddy camp directors - it's a wonder that the didn't send me home for immodesty.


The other night I randomly surfed across several websites hocking their modest Christian clothing. I clicked, because I'm a sucker. Now, Hubby was already asleep beside me in bed, and I woke him up with my giggles. He so did not get why "culottes" were funny. But then he didn't grow up attending summer camp with the General Association of Regular Baptists.


Every time I think about culottes I laugh - out loud - to myself. No one else thinks it's funny.


And I thought my Baptist roots were all for not...How wrong I was. Even on the darkest, most depressing day all I have to do is pull up an image of this French sounding fashion travesty and I smile.


Don't even get me started on the homeschool jumper.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think it's funny alright! I attended many a Baptist camp with my culottes in hand! Or packed away!

NLWilliams said...

this is awesome! I currently attend a GARB church and, thankfully, ours is NOTHING like that, but I grew up with people all around me wearing culottes...can you even believe them!? I can't think of much more immodest for doing athletics! I saw more conservative girls' underwear as a result of culottes than I care to remember.
Can I ask what camp you went to?