Sunday, August 3, 2008

#250

This is my 250th post, which I've cleverly entitled #250.

I mostly started blogging because my husband said I should. He said it'd be good for me, and he was right. Does he know me or what?

So, our church is doing this thing where we're supposed be praying for God to break our hearts for the city for 28 days. Let me clarify: we're supposed to pray for 28 days that God would break our hearts forever. I actually missed the sermon that night, so I'm not sure why 28 is the magic number. Never the less I have been faithfully, if begrudgingly, praying. I'm feeling sorta so-so about the broken heart deal. I've had a broken heart. It sucks.

So far here are my revelations. #1 - I don't get out much. Homeschooling 3 kids while trying to keep a toddler from tearing apart my house is about all I can handle. And when I am out I'm usually way too sidetracked trying to make sure that none of my children are running in front of cars etc. I hardly notice other people. This doesn't feel quite right to me, but I don't have any solutions.

#2 - This orphan care thing just won't go away for me. I keep getting sucked back in. The other day I ended up on a website that did photo-listing for all the waiting kids in Colorado. Waiting kids are kids who's birth parents have had their rights terminated; they are legally free for adoption and are wards of the state. But for whatever reason, no one has adopted them. There are a lot of waiting kids in Colorado, a lot just in Adams county. There are tons more in Denver. This breaks my heart. It just shouldn't be.

But what am I to do?

We cannot possibly adopt them all. I mean we in the singular sense, as in Hubby and me. But we, the collective we, as in the body of Christ, should. We are without excuse. Okay, that's not technically true. There are lots of good reasons not to adopt. But ultimately, they're lame, when it's a kid's life we're talking about. And not everyone is called to adopt. But some people are, and don't becuase, well becuase they have lame excuses.

So what's my lame excuse? Why am I unwilling to engage in the lives of these orphans living among us? Maybe adoption isn't the answer for us now, but orphan care is ultimately everyones responsiblity. I am not exempt.

No comments: