Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I dare ya!

I can be fearful about many things.

Cooking isn't one of them.

When I cook I am bold and brave. And it's that sense of adventure (and a killer chocolate craving) that led me to this recipe. It's the weirdest recipe you'll ever love. And it is weird, even by my liberal standards.

Gluten - Free Chocolate Brownies for the Brave of Heart

1 can of beans drained (I recommend Great Northern, Black, or heck even Pinto)
1/2 cup of soy milk (or cow milk for you wimps out there)
2 T. peanut butter
1/3 cup of prune puree (or baby food plums)
1/2 c. GF flour blend (or I'm sure normal wheat flour would work for you non-diseased folks)
2 Tbs. of good vanilla - give or take
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1.5baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup of chopped nuts or chocolate chips (I say go for the extra chocolate, personally)

Preheat oven. Toss everything (but nuts or chips) into your blender, and give her a whirl. Add nuts or chips. Stir. Bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes in a greased 9x9 pan.

Do not, under any circumstances, tell your taste testers what you put in the brownies. I bet they'd never guess.

These brownies are moist, but kinda cakey and could be frosted. They are also better on the second day. Couldn't tell you why. Also, they are very reasonably low fat, but have an outrageous fiber content.

Try 'em. I dare ya!

*this post is in honor of my father who will eat anything, regardless of expiration date. You have inspired me to live beyond the bounds of what other's think is wise. ;)

No comments: