Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Another Wacky Recipe from the Crunchy Side

With the exception of today, which is Christmas, I have been eating low-fat health food in hopes of losing a few pounds. But a girl cannot live on broccoli alone. So I found a recipe that allows me a chocolate fix and is relatively healthy. This one makes my mac and cheese recipe look normal, so brownie purist stop reading now. Here goes:

Chocolate Bean Brownies

1 can rinsed, drained black beans ( or white) pureed in a blender
3 eggs or 3/4 c. egg beaters
3 T. oil
4 T cocoa
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2-3/4 c. sweetener ( I used 1/2 c. Agave Nectar, and 1/4 c. dark brown sugar)

Mix ingredients and poor into a 8x8 greased cake pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

I did mess with this recipe a tad, and I think I improved it somewhat. Here are my alterations:

I added:
1/4 c. GF flour blend
1/2 tsp. xanthum gum
1 tsp. baking power
1/4 tsp. baking soda
Chocolate chips sprinkled on top

Notes: If you're not gluten intolerant leave out the xanthum and just use "normal" flour. Agave looks like honey, and is made from the tequila plant. It is really low on the Glycemic Index, and doesn't mess with blood sugar. You can buy it at Vitamin Cottage next to the honey.

My kids loved these, they had no idea they were healthy. If your feeling brave give 'em a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are two of the grossest sounding recipes I've ever read! I think we know where E get's his creativity!
Amanda