Sunday, November 30, 2008

Steppin' on Toes

So I thought I'd step on some toes and talk about race...

When I went to school at CU it was en vogue in some circles to say race was an artificial social construct. They said there were more genetic variances within a particular "racial" group than within humanity at large. They said there was no such thing as race.

I always thought that was kinda dumb.

My reasons were less scientific.

I wondered why little white kids, who've only grown up around other little white kids think all black kids look the same. I know I thought that all black kids looked the same, at least, until DeMarcus became my friend. Then DeMarcus looked like DeMarcus.

I was talking to a black woman who was married to a white guy at a picnic at my sisters house; she joked that all white people looked the same. Apparently, it goes both ways.

We know who's "in" and who's "out" by the shade of our skin, and the size of our butts, and the slant of our eyes. Race may be an artificial social construct, but it does matter.

I think it's confusing that it matters.

Today there are no neat little categories; probably, there never were. Here is what I mean: My friend's Ethiopian children are African, but to me, they look nothing like the West Africans I befriended in Ghana. And the African Americans who were with me in Ghana were declared "white" by the nationals there. They were too light, and too tall...which, sadly, has slavery written all over it.

Black and white aren't straight forward. Because, actually, our black president-elect is only half African. He's definitely black, but he isn't African American in the traditional sense..in the sense where he can trace his roots back to slaves. Some people would say that that's irrelevant, because in this country having dark skin and kinky hair is all it takes for people to see you differently. I might agree...but I'm not sure.

The black and white discussion is an academic one for me...because I'm the only one in my family who uses hair products for people of color...and my color is, well, I'm a white girl.

What's confusing to me is the issue what it means to be Native American. My blond haired and blue-eyed "Barbie" look-alike college roommate got a discount on tuition because she was Cherokee, and had the documentation to prove it. My husband's great-grandma was Choktaw, and my great-grandma lived on a reservation. My youngest daughter is Lakota, but it can't be documented, so she is not eligible for tribal membership. But she actually looks like a Native American. When Eddie and I went to New Mexico some Native American little girls came up to us and tried to sell us jewelery. It was creepy how very much they resembled our baby.

So is our baby Native American? Legally, nope. But, really, she is. Does it matter? I'm not sure. Will she care about her genetic heritage? I can't say. What I do know is that when I look into the face of my brown-eyed girl I see my daughter. Her eyes are brown, and her skin is darker than my own...but when I look at her all I see is the girl I love.

What do you think? Race is real, right? Or not? Does it matter? Or doesn't it?

4 comments:

Matthew Crocker said...

Its funny, Elie notices the color of someones skin like she sees the color of hair. So far, thats all, she doesn't really care.

NLWilliams said...

Just today at church a five year old little girl with a caucasian mother and a father who is a legalized resident from Mexico came up to me and said, "Hey, guess what? I am half Mexican and half American!" I said, "Hey I knew that. That's awesome! Did you know that I am half German and half Swedish?" She said, "really? Cool! We're both a mix!"
I thought it was a priceless moment.
doesn't really answer any questions, but it was cute.

Jennifer McHam said...

I always thought it was neat growing up that my grandpa is Cajun. Which by the way isn't even recognized as an official minority but as far as I know we're the only ones who saw nutria as a proper form of nourishment so there's got to be some clout. When I married Mark I thought it was neat to be Scottish, now by marriage. I am sure baby will enjoy knowing about her birth heritage as much as her adopted heritage. It will make her special and who doesn't want that?

Unknown said...

skin color was a big deal to our oldest...until the second that she met her new brother and sister... it's amazing, but she's never mentioned it again. she just said 'mommy, i loved them from the moment i saw them!' and i honestly don't think skin color even crossed her mind.
they are just her bro and sis now. and just like her (blonde hair, fair skined, blue eyed girl) their skin color, or hair color, or eye color, are all a part of who they are, but it isn't what defines them.