Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

It seemed like a good idea at the time... It did.

A certain blue eyed bald guy is on a business trip and I didn't much feel like cooking dinner for just the kids and me. The Applebees by our house has half price appetizers at happy hour (4-6pm) so I put 2 and 2 together and decided we'd make a dinner of nachos. It'd be cheap. I wouldn't have to cook, or clean up dinner and my kids would feel like they got a special treat. Sure it's a lot of work to take four kids to dinner by yourself, but, generally speaking, my kids are exceptionally well behaved at restaurants. Generally speaking.

What I neglected to take into account is that my kids have been acting like they've been taking shots of espresso all day long. They are jazzed and spazzed. Mostly spazzed.

We spilt 2 lemonades.

My daughter took off her shoes, and my son lost one of his under the table.

E ate a jalapeno to see if it was really hot. It was. He nearly hyperventilated.

Bub SAT ON THE TABLE!

Baby had a tizzy fit because I wouldn't let her launch a plate onto the floor. So instead she opted to launch chips on the floor.

M and Bub decided to switch places and CRAWLED under the table.

E belched big and loud on account of the large amount of lemonade he inhaled trying to put out the fire in his mouth from the jalapeno.

M stuffed Baby's coat under her shirt pretending to be a fat person - loudly.

But at least our tab was only 11 bucks. Unfortunately, I felt compelled to leave an excessively large tip because of the atrocious behaviour on the part of my progeny.

And ,oh, if that had been the worst of it.

This part didn't even seem like a good idea at the time, but I did it anyway. I ordered boneless Buffalo wings. Boneless buffalo wings are breaded. Breading generally implies wheat. I know this. I did it anyway. The kids didn't like the wings, so I ate them. They were scrumptious and glutenful. I have a crazy bad stomach ache.

For the record: I am still gluten intolerant. Duh! Sometimes I think that I must be a nut job, that really gluten intolerance is really just the result of my overzealous imagination. So I test it. I eat gluten. And then I get a stomach ache, sometimes, like tonight, I get a really bad one. So if I ever get the urge to partake in glutenful foods in your presence, please, pretty please, say "buffalo wings". I'll get the hint.

1 comment:

Brianna Heldt said...

Oh I love this story! It is good to know that I am not the only one with four kids who occasionally go berserk in very public places. :)