Monday, November 24, 2008

running away part b

My 8 year old decided not to run away, and instead watch Spunge Bob and eat a rice crispie treat. This same child wrote a hartwarming essay on thankfulness. It went like this:

"I'm thankful for everything but Satan. I'm most thankful for the 3 "F"s: friends, family and food. "

His sister and brother, on the other hand, waxed elloquent on thankfulness for baby birds and such.

But lest you think he is my "dull" one I've got to share his latest invention. The kid actually built a string cheese and apple cutting machine with his circuit set. It worked, but he was irritated at me for making him stop slicing things. A girl can only take so much string cheese confetti being strewn about her kitchen.

These are the challenges that make me think homeschooling is an excercise in futility. They are also the things that make me wonder if any "traditional" setting would work. I give the kid a wide berth and still manage to squelch him.

Help me Jesus!

2 comments:

The Dupras Family said...

oh, you are SUCH a good mom!

Anonymous said...

Do you think he would let me borrow the machine for my apple pie? I have a bunch of apples needing cut.
Amanda