Tuesday, September 23, 2008

HOPE

Well were back at it. Homeschool, that is. I've made some positive changes in our approach.

-We've bagged our science curriculum in favor of "Myth Busters" and "Bill Nye the Science Guy". Kids learn tons watching that stuff, and heck, it's one more thing off my plate. Plus they're in science class at OPTIONS.

-We've bagged spelling for M. I've been homeschooling long enough to know that she'll learn when she's ready. And when she's ready she'll learn in weeks what would have taken us months to cover now. So I can fight it now, or wait and then breeze through material when she's ready. I'll wait, thank-you very much.

-We've bagged our language arts curriculum. M had already mastered the concepts in the first grade curriculum I bought. And the new language arts I have for E is way too writing intensive for a kid who genuinely hates to write. I had to walk him through everything and serve as scribe half the time. It was terrible. I'd forgotten that one of my goals is to create independent learners...if one of the curriculums I'm using creates dependence then that is counter productive. It's gotta go. Fast.

-Also, Eddie has agreed to read some of our "read-alouds" to the kids before bedtime. The kids love anything that puts off bedtime, plus it's quality time with dad, and it helps free up some of our time during the day.

-Baby only gets one nap a day, whether she likes it or not. True, she may fall asleep in her lunch, but I need her life to be predictable. My kids need to know what's expected of them and when; it cuts down on those sentences that start with, "BUT MOM...(whine gripe whine)."

-We'll only do our three R's while the baby is asleep. She tends to create havoc otherwise. If she wakes too early then we're done anyway. Some days it'll just have to do.

-I will lighten up! My mantra is: My children's performance does not define who I am. Some days we'll toss out the prescribed to-dos in favor of the park or museum. We WILL seize the day, to heck with E's evaluation at the end of this year. He's a bright kid. He'll do just fine...no need to panic. I will not live the next few month of my life in fear of a stupid evaluation.

Does this mean I'm a "lifer" and plan to homeschool my kids the whole way through. I have no idea. Does this mean I'm feeling less burnt out. I'm not sure. But it does mean that I've extended myself some grace. And that is a good place to start.

2 comments:

Jennifer McHam said...

Good luck with everything! I've always admired you as a mother and your kids always seem so happy and free spirited. I'd like that for my kids. You should be proud.
Jenny

Matthew Crocker said...

I did spelling at Em's age and it didn't work for me, so I don't really see the point of forcing it. However, there was never a time when "I just got it" so if your waiting for that...