Friday, September 26, 2008

criticism...

So you might have picked up on my recent bought of cynicism...mostly directed at Christians and homeschoolers.

Incidentally, I am passionately and unrepentantly a Christ-follower; I also homeschool.

Why the snotty attitude?

Well, partly it's my emotional state. But, partly it's an effort not to "throw the baby out with the bath water." The thing is: Christians can do some pretty dumb things. (note previous blog) But Jesus is not dumb.

Here is my philosophy: Keep Jesus. Take a long hard look at goof-ball dance routines before choosing to implement them in a church near you.

Sometimes we (Christians) can be downright idiotic, and other times we just need to evaluate what we are doing to see if its makes any sense. Sometimes were just stuck in a rut, or tradition that doesn't fit. Ultimately, the church isn't an institution. Its an organic, dynamic body; there is ebb and flow. We can be critical without undermining its integrity.

Same goes for homeschool. Its a good thing. In fact, I believe it's a really good thing and one of the coolest ways to learn. I love homeschooling for a lot of reasons. But it doesn't mean I always like to homeschool, or that homeschool is the best choice for my family. Take now, for instance, my kiddos LOVE homeschooling, but there is the distinct possibility I will lose my mind if I continue to homeschool them. And, lets just be honest here, homeschooling from a loony bin does present a number of logistical challenges. So, is homeschooling good? Absolutely. Is it the best for my family now? Debatable. And I can ask the question without undermining the choices other parents make for their family.

No comments: