Monday, September 29, 2008

"All that, and a bag of chips"

This morning I woke up before the kids and got a" jump start" on the day. I was looking rather hip in my kelly green skirt and cute Gap top - "all that and a bag of chips", so to speak.

Well, things have gone down hill since then.

I got cold so I threw on a cable knit sweater. I still managed to look passably hip. But then I was STILL cold so I traded in my flirty skirt for some ratty gray sweat pants and a pair of my husband's tube socks. I pulled my too short hair into a,wadded-up ponytail just for good measure. If I'm going for the downtrodden housewife look I will not be accused of doing it in half-measures. I'm considering throwing an apron on over my sweats and cable knit sweater. I think it would make the perfect accessory - don't you?

My clothes pretty much reflect my day.

It started out well...I whipped up some homemade muffins, we practiced piano, went on a walk, did some laundry and miscellaneous chores. We read about Asia, in particular India and Pakistan. Then read some fascinating missionary stories. I even threw dinner in the crock pot. E read, and the kids busted out their handwriting. Impressive, no?

But now the baby is awake. The harder, more mom intensive subjects like Math, and phonics, and spelling are still on our to-do list. Oh, and I forgot to switch loads of laundry and I'm concerned that the chicken I bought is too big to get done by dinner time. The kitchen is messy and the dishwasher needs to be unloaded. I'm ignoring the kids in favor of venting, aka blogging. And I have half a laundry basket full of socks with mates MIA. My day has officially shifted from flirty skirt mode to ratty sweats mode.

Welcome to reality here at our house. If you cannot relate, please don't leave a comment...I only want to hear from people who know what it's like to get a flat tire, or a gigantic pimple. I'd be happy to respond to a story from a mom who's kid threw a hissy fit in the grocery store. And hey, if your kitchen floor is sticky, then I'm your gal.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

Jennifer McHam said...

Since P started sleeping more, I've tried to get up each morning and make myself presentable for Mark. But since I do this in the morning (put on makeup, straighten and blow out hair, put on nice clothes) it's hardly ever still intact by the time he gets home (10 hours later). My nice clothes have spit up, food, snot, and possibly even a little poop on them and my blown out hair is in a pony tail because I can't allow one more strand to be pulled out by a freakishly strong 9 month old. Some days I wonder "Why bother?" but I've been trying to have an upbeat attitude about it all and think "Hmm - maybe today's the day..." and Mark will be so impressed with his beautiful wife and family and clean house when he gets home from work. Good luck!!! You are NOT ALONE.