Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Discipleship...

So there is an organization out there called the Christian Home Educators of Colorado (CHEC) and they put on an annual conference on homeschooling. They bring in speakers and vendors - the works. This year they got into a little bit of a dispute with my all time favorite curriculum vendor, Sonlight, and wouldn't allow them to buy a booth at the convention. The reason - well I'm hypothisizing here, but I'm 99% sure I'm correct: Sonlight doesn't take a hard stance on New Earth Creation. They present material and let parents and children work it out for themselves. Also, some of their literature isn't "Christian"; the characters in their books do bad things. Don't get me wrong the literature is uplifting and inspiring, just not Christian.



Because I thought CHEC was being stupid I decided to silently, stubborly and probably stupidly boycott the whole deal. (I'm sure the fact that I chose not to attend, silently, significantly impacted the thinking of this large organization. Effective, very effective.)



But my friend Karen went to the CHEC conference. And she recommended one of the speakers: Dr. Voddie Baucham. I still haven't bought his book on Amazon, but I've listened to several of his youtubes, and iterviews. I think I get the jist.



Dr. Baucham spoke at the conference about Education and Family as Discipleship. He says that the family is the primary construct within the church in which discipleship happens. Remember, a disciple is a Christ-follower. Discipleship is then the process by which one Christ-follower helps another learn and grow in their walk with Jesus. So this is supposed to happen in family.

Okay, I'll buy. Discipleship should happen in families, and it doesn't happen accidentally. Hubby and I have to be deliberate and intentional. I even believe that we are accountable before God for how we represent Him to our kids. Yikes!

So a couple times in the stuff I listened to I heard Dr. Baucham say (speaking of public schools) "If you send your kids to Ceasar for an education, don't be surprised if they come back as Romans".

Whoa Nellie!

Yes, it is family is the construct best suited for passing on faith. Yes, it is the responsibility of Christian parents to model Christ and teach their children to know and walk with God. Yes, public schools are influenced by secular humanism. But the parents I know with kids in public schools haven't checked out of their kids' lives. They are there: in the classrooms, after school, at the ball games. They tuck their kids in and pray with them. Discipleship is happening.

Okay, never mind this post. I'm abandoning it. I just got an email from a friend in my homeschool group, and my whole blog seems trite in compairison.

No comments: