Friday, June 20, 2008

Discipleship

While on Earth, Jesus spent the majority of his time in ministry hanging with 12 guys - The Disciples. Yes, he taught, and performed miracles, and had conversations, but mostly he hung with these 12 guys.

Weird Story: So, Jesus sees these blue collar fisherman. He goes over to them and says, "Hey, come follow me. I will make you fishers of men." And, togas still smelling fishy, these blue collar hicks drop thier nets and follow. That's it.

Some 3 years later, these fishermen have been transformed. The have become "the disciples". They are the leaders of their faith. They proclaim Jesus as the Messiah and people begin to follow the teachings of the Rabbai known as, Jesus of Nazareth. The world is transformed. Christianity is born. And part of the story, an important part, starts with some working class guys who drop thier nets and follow.

One of the last things that Jesus says while on earth is captured in a passage of the Bible in the book of Matthew (28:16-20). This passage is historically called "The Great Commission". These words are Jesus' last instructions to the disciples. They are, not accidentally, about discipleship.

The Great Commission says:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Discipleship is a really churchy word. And I have a sort of vague understanding of what it means. But as I look at this passage I see some specific instructions that I'm hoping will demystify this for me.

-Go
-Make disciples
-Baptizing them
-Teaching them to obey

First, I'm noticing a lot of verbs here. Discipleship is active. It's not some kind of passive deal; it requires intentionality. It's a "drop your nets and follow" thing. In fact, following, actively following, seems to be foundational to this concept of discipleship.

Next there's this issue of baptizing. Also churchy. But the point of baptism is to identify yourself with another. Its a visual picture that says: "I am crucified with Christ, therefore I no longer live but Jesus Christ now lives in me." A person who chooses baptism says, "I'm not who I was before; now I know Jesus and I choose to live for Him." Baptism isn't for pansies.

The last part of what Jesus told the disciples to do is to teach new followers to obey. Obedience: Bending ones own will to that of another. Sounds fun. Hmm... this "Great Commision" is not much of sales pitch is it?

Here's my working definition:

A disciple is one who deliberately choses to identify herself with Christ and surrenders her own will in obedience to Jesus.

So what does that mean in real life? How does that look in my corner of suburbia? And how do I, a disciple of Christ, go and make disciples? Is discipleship a part of parenting? friendships? church? Who do I know that is a discipler? Why would I want to be a disciple in the first place?

I'm thinking through this issue of Discipleship. I'm taking you along in my journey. Stay tuned; surrender, sanctification and disciplines of the faith are coming soon to a blog near you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Voddie Baucham spoke at the CHEC conference last weekend about "Family Discipleship" - it's a talk worth downloading and listening to. His main premise: education is discipleship. Kind of fits with a lot of what you've been thinking about lately. I bet he has clips on youtube, too!
Karen