Monday, March 19, 2007

Kuddos for Children's Hospital (Reader's Digest Edition)

My first born is brilliant. Yeah, yeah, I know, everybody's kid is brilliant. But really, E, is very smart. He's particularly fascinated by science, and he "get's" abstract concepts almost without effort.

There is a flip side to this "coin" however. E struggle with fine motor skills and coordination. Handwriting would be his purgatory. Since he is so bright, people tend not to take me seriously when I'm looking for help. He's great at finding clever ways to get around his weaknesses. (For instance, He's done his math homework in Roman numerals so he didn't have to form the numbers).

After several dead ends, I got a referral to Children's Hosptial's Occupational and Physical Therapy Department. I cannot say enough good about my experience with them. So far, E has been evaluated by the Physical Therapist. She was wonderful, and personable . She made E feel comfortable, and asked all the right questions. She quickly honed in on the kind of kid my son was. She understood him.

The PT said she could help E with a few things, but that the OT would probably be of the most benefit to E. Already, the few exercises that she has us doing are helping. E is improving, and he is so encouraged. We are too.

We have been praying about getting the right help for E for a long long time, and this is definitely an answer to prayer. I highly recommend Children's to any parent who is struggling to get answer for his or her child.

I've got more than 2 cents to say about this topic - a buck fifty, at least. But, alas, my children are outside making mud balls and will shortly require a bath.

No comments: