Thursday, March 22, 2007

Guilt the gift that keeps on giving

When the reality of adoption started to sink in my husband suggested we check out a magnet school in our district for our kids. Homeschooling a 2nd grader, a Kindergartener, and a pre-schooler and taking care of a high needs baby sounds like a lot. He wanted to make sure I didn't get in over my head.

So we checked out Hulstrom Options School. We liked it a lot. It had programs to fit each of our kids needs; the principal and teaching staff were wonderful. The kicker is that Hulstrom is a difficult school to get into. So I went to through this ridiculous rig-a-ma-roll that envolved standing in the freezing cold at 1AM to get a chance at getting my kids in.

M did, and what's more she tested into their Gifted program - with very high IQ scores (told ya my kids were smart). The problem is that there are no spaces currently available for the older grades. For E to get into the program someone would have to move or drop out of the program. E would then have to test in to the program and have the highest lottery number - basically an act of God. I'm not putting it past God; I'm just saying aside from His intervention our chances are nil. We are waiting to hear what happens.

Did I mention waiting sucks?

This week I came away from my homeschool support group feeling inept at schooling my kids and also feeling like I would be an absolutely irresponsible parent if I sent my kids to a public school. I swear this must be some kind of spiritual attack / mind game becuase homeschooling and Hulstrom are our only options. The guilt and shame that rocked me would have shown up on the rickter scale and the speaker was a really nice lady who had no intention of shaming anyone.

Here are the facts:
-I'm a good mom
- My kids are doing better than "just fine" in academics
-I do my best to do what's best for my kids, and though I sometimes get it wrong, most of the time I don't.
-God is good; he's not capricious.
-There is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, this includes ridiculous feeling of guilt and shame over school decision for my kids.

okay the kids are up....check back for part II

No comments: