Sunday, October 21, 2007

Ragamuffins

Eddie pulled The Ragamuffin Gospel (by Brennan Manning) off our bookshelf the other day to re-read. I saw it laying around, and picked it up. It's so good, and a must read. It's about the radical, extravagant love of God - and his Grace. I don't think I could be reminded of Amazing Grace enough.

The Gospel is only "good news" if its about Grace, anything less pure religiosity, and I'm not interested. "He (God) has a single relentless stance towards us: he loves us." That's it! There is no fine print. The God of the Universe is wild about me and he accepts me just as I am. I do not have to get it together, or put on my make-up, or loose 15 pounds. He sees the mess I am. He knows that I'm a bundle of contradictions: full of faith one moment, doubting the next. To him I am not just another suburban house wife. He knows my name; he sees me. And he loves me.

Here is the challenge: I've got to believe it, and I am called to accept it. "Jesus Loves Me" was probably the first song I ever learned. And I know its true on a theological level, but the problem is that I know myself. I know I don't have it together. But then that's what Grace is: unmerited favor. He loves me and I don't deserve it; He accepts me even though my behavior should deem me unacceptable. The crux of the Christian journey is learning to walk in Grace. It's learning to to look to Jesus and accept by faith that I am acceptable and loved.

The interesting thing about legalism is: it gets its torque from shame and guilt. Shame and guilt can alter behavior for a time, but they cannot effect lasting change. Grace does that; its what changes us. "It's God's kindness that draws us to repentance." Tell me I am not alone here. I have on numerous occasions managed to pull myself by my bootstraps, only to have a brisk wind blow and land back on my ample tush. Then, stupidly, I repeat the process. I know we are Americans, and this "by your bootstraps" mentality has been ingrained in us since infancy. But its bunk. Doesn't work work. Jesus works. He's poured out his love, he accepts me as I am. And somehow when I get my focus off myself an onto Him change happens without me really trying. I thinks its called sanctification, and I have little to do with it. How did I miss that? It is God's Grace and when I accept it, and live in it I don't have to try so hard.

No comments: