Monday, October 8, 2007

Bullet Points

  • Tomorrow we meet Baby's sisters' parents. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited to get to know them.
  • We were surprised to discover that I actually bought a yellow tomato plant. Our yellow tomatoes are much yummier than the red ones.
  • Wednesday is our 9th anniversary.
  • We went to Pathways on Sunday and heard Brian Maclaren speak. Hubby was agast - Maclaren referenced Al Gore within minutes of beginning his talk. This is not a good way to win over my husband. Maclaren is more liberal than I am, quite a lot more liberal. But I think he's compelling and makes good points. For instance, I think the emergent church's empahsis on praxis and less on theology is important. I think examining how we read the Bible through our Western Modernist worldview is good to think about. And I think that recognizing that we frame our experience in a Capitalist, Post-colonial, Western, Evangelical way is worth recognizing. Sometimes we get confused and think we are following Christ when its just our Evangelical Cultural that we are following. It's interesting stuff.
  • I make a lousy liberal, and I am far too liberal to make a good conservative (in the James Dobson sense). This means I don't exactly fit the typical Christian homeschooler mold. I don't fit the typical suburbanite either. We've got too many kids. I'm actually a really lousy bookkeeper and my tupperware is a mess so I don't fit with the stay-at-home mom thing either. Nor am I a working mom. I had my kids far too young, and couldn't probably get a job in instructional design if I wanted to anymore. I'm having a junior high moment and feeling conspicuously not cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't really have a place I "fit" either. Maybe its bad genes. We should blame dad.