Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Stroke of Brilliance and Video Game Update

Our rules for the x-box are not original to us. We stole them from the Collins family, and they work great. Rules are as follows: 1) you may only play on weekends 2) you have a 2 hour time limit 3) if you are a pain about these rules then x-box privleges will be taken away. Brilliant! E knows when he can play and when he can't. He enjoys playing, improves his motor skills and does not get obsessed with gaming.

Another note on moderation and critical thinking: My kids like to watch the TV show called Arthur (based on the books). I don't like it because the kids on the show talk snotty and are mean to each other. I told my kids they cannot watch Arthur anymore because they had begun to talk snotty to each other.

Today my kids asked nicely to watch Arthur, and this was my compromise: They could watch Arthur, but they had to keep a running tally of mean things that were said on 3x5 cards. The show is half way over and the 3x5 cards are filling up fast. After the show is over my 2 older kids owe me sentences explaining mean things that the kids on Arthrur said.

Later we get to have a conversation about how easy it is to get desensitized to evil, and how words can be used to hurt or heal. In theory this seems like a brilliant parenting tactic; we'll see how it goes in practice.

No comments: