Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Father's Dragon Meets George Bush and other Thoughts on Post-Colonial America

The kids and I are reading a Newberry Award book called "My Father's Dragon". It's a fun nonsensical adventure story about a boy who "invades" a wild jungle island to rescue a mistreated dragon. Along the way the boy invents clever ways to evade and charm wild animals who intend to eat him. He does crazy stuff like giving the tigers bubble gum.

There is a lesson that George Bush could take from this little boy. The boy understands the animals he encounters. He listens, then, to the extent that he is able, he gives the animals what they want. He neutralizes the animosity.

I like our cowboy president, and I can appreciate his "six-shooter" approach to international politics. It's certainly strait forward, and noble in intent. It also doesn't seem to be working all that well. I think the problem is that we do not understand the "animals" we meet. They do not see us as rescuers of the "oppressed dragon". We are the invaders.

"But we are trying to free the world of terror and evil dictators.", you say. "Can't they see that we have their best interests at heart?"

NOPE. Here's why: Our history proceeds us. Remember "Manifest Destiny". We actually believed that we were entitled to other peoples land and it was okay to steamroll people in our path. Remember how we mistreated the Native People of this land, how we lied and stole. Remember colonization. Remember slavery. Yes, I know that was primarily the Dutch and British and Spanish. But to the rest of the world we sort of look the same. White skin, cocky attitude, yada yada yada. Remember the Crusades? It was a long time ago, I know. But the world hasn't forgotten what we did in the name of Christ. My point is: We have a lousy and well deserved reputation.

Yes, we have used our power and influence for good. We have been generous, and noble. But frankly, that is not what the world remembers when they think of Americans. They still see us through the lens of colonialism.

I haven't the foggiest idea how to resolve the problem of a power vacuum in Iraq. I really do not understand the complexities of a culture with tribal discord. Fundamentalist Islamic factions do pose a real threats for which I don't have a solution. But I think that it begins with listening, and listening hard? Do we really understand the "animals" in our path, do we understand that to them we ARE an invader? Do we "get" that our reputation is shot?

As a parent I've noticed that, as the person in power, I can manipulate my children's behavior for a time. I can threaten, and spank. I can take away privileges, and give time-outs. And that stuff works for a little while. But as my kids approach adolescence my power will dwindle. What will matter then is whether I have captured their hearts and won their respect. My influence then will depend on my ability now to love them, to earn their respect, and their trust. For a time I can manipulate behavior, but any lasting influence I have will be because I have captured their heart.

I know it is a stretch to apply my parenting philosophy to international politics. But I'll do it anyway. Heart matters more. Respect and compassion are really the big guns. And somehow we've missed that.

No comments: