Monday, January 19, 2009

Option B

As I see it this world is broken, utterly broken. And we have a choice about how we live in the brokenness.

A) We can hole up in our covenant controlled communities and let our selfishness erode our souls.

B) We can engage the brokeness of our world. We can head to the front lines, live authentically and do our best to be the hands and feet of Christ. This way is harder. Costlier. Better.

Recently, a friend of mine invited me to be a part of a yahoo group of women/mothers who have chosen option B. They have burdened with the things that burden the heart of Jesus, and they have chosen the battle. They are the coolest, most authentic, terrifying women I know. (and you know who you are)

Though they probably wouldn't admit it, their lives are harder than most. Their families look like patchwork quilts...a hodgepodge of color. Some of them have many children. Some of them are on a first name basis with the medical staff at Children's hospital. Some are scrimping and saving to bring home another child from half a world a way. Some write checks, and make sacrifices that are unseen. Others are trying to figure out how to help heal a child who has lived through civil war or years of institutional care.

They challenge me, these women. Because I feel the same burden they do... and I don't want to retreat to option A. But I know what it will cost me to take Jesus' hand and engage the battle. Everything. Everything. Everything.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome.
Here's to 'everything'!