Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Don't sleep through your dreams..."

"Don't sleep through your dreams..." - Erwin Raphael McManus

When I was young I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Never mind that I am legally blind without corrective lenses. Never mind that I have absolutely terrible hand-eye coordination and get stressed out when I have to react quickly to situations. Being a fighter pilot seemed romantic and adventurous.

Alas, I have given up the dream. I decided to become a mom and wife, which, if you think about it is kinda like a fighter pilot. Except for the flying and the fighting parts. Okay, maybe not so much.

But all of my dreams have not gone down in flames. I still dream of working in a children's home in Africa. I dream of teaching adults on the margins... ESL, or life skills or something. I'd like to write a book, and learn to paint. I want a really big flower garden and a home full of character where I can invite in lots of people who need a little extra love. I also dream of having a full time maid in that big house. Someday, my husband and I would like to build our own house. I'd like to go to grad school...because I kinda like school. I want to visit chateau's, and climb a few more fourteeners. I'd like to do something big to advocate for the world orphans...I might even bring home a few for keeps. AND I'd like to weigh what I weighed in college:)

Right now...I serve as a mommy taxi, homework assistant, lunch maker, breakfast maker, dinner maker, toilet scrubber, nose wiper. But the dreams remain... someday I'm going to learn to live the adventure right here, right now, in my ordinary life.

Baby's up...enough rambling.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I can lend a hand in one dept...I am going to climb a couple 14ers this summer, so you can join me!

Cross one off your list :-)

NLWilliams said...

wow. I was JUST thinking about that yesterday.
The thought that I never get to do what I want to do now. I have something getting in the way called my LIFE! Between my children and my responsibilities, how can I possibly do what it is that I have been called to do, right?
I have been convicted about doing what I am truly called to do as a wife/mom/servant of Christ in TODAY without tomorrow's "dreams" getting in the way but without discounting that God gave me some of those dreams in the first place...tough stuff...where theology really hits the road!