Thursday, June 23, 2011

McDonald's Playland

WE WENT TO McDONALD's PLAYLAND!!

It was busy with moms and kids looking for a break from the heat and cheap entertainment. I was hesitant. Many days a trip like this would be disastrous. But Abby was well regulated today; I knew it. I took the risk, and .....SUCCESS. No drama. It was so utterly normal.

That's the thing...sometimes it's normal,and sometimes....well not so much. And I get all jumpy and hyper vigilant trying to guess what will happen. I can almost always "talk her down" if I catch "it" in time so I'm always tuned in and keyed up for the potential trigger that lurks. It's a weird way to live.

In other news...

I've been running. I was so pathetically and ridiculously out of shape when I started that running for 2 minutes made me suck wind. Now I can run for 25 minutes non-stop. To true athletes out there this is totally unimpressive, but this is huge progress for me in 4 weeks time. I will, indeed, be able to run the 5k when Eddie does his first triathlon.

The thing about running is it is really really helps with my depression. It works better than the meds (which I'm still on) and has the side benefit of being good for my heart. I gotta stick with it. The temptation is to do too much too soon. So far, all my body can take is 3 runs a week. My knees and shins ache if I do more. So as a person in her mid-thirties, I need to honor this. I need to take a "long haul" approach to things. In an effort to do this I'd like to start swimming. It's good cardio too, plus it's a nice upper body workout to augment the running, and low impact. Trouble is: I suck at this too. So I've decided to figure it out. To hell with looking cool. I 'm gonna just look stupid and chubby till I get it...because otherwise I'll just stay chubby because a was too big of weenie to look stupid. If Eddie can do a sprint triathlon, then I can too. I can. It's just gonna take awhile.

No comments: