Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I'd like to write a novel someday

I'd like to write a novel someday. But it sounds like a lot of work.

I am not opposed to work per se, even hard work. But the thing is I've got a bunch of other stuff that needs doin'. Boogers to wipe - for one. Also, I'm the resident guru of 1st, 3rd, and 5th grade math 'round these parts. And it comes with responsibility - who will teach long division if I will not?

"Here am I, send me."

Then there is the laundry. It. Must. Be. Handled.

"Here am I, send me."

And the therapy to attend.

"Here am I, send me."

Dinner doesn't cook itself, now does it?

"Here am I, send me"

Sometimes I can say it with grace, with abandon. "Here am I, send me."

Those words, those 5 one-syllable words, they basically hand over my right to dictate my own life. Self actualization is traded in for servanthood. And the greatest shall be the least. On the good days...

I am happy to be a stay-at-home momma.

Happyish. (For it was never my dream.)

But I'd like to write a novel.

Or go to grad school.

Or travel.

However...

My life is not my own.

So Lord, let me find joy in the ordinary, and the day to day. Get my head out of the clouds and my feet on the ground. Help me to find satisfaction as I wiggle my toes down into the dirt of life. Remind me that the endless dishes, and the mundane tasks have a purpose. Help me to be faithful. Help me to be joyful. Help me to be generous.

I'd like to write a novel some day.

If I don't do it before I die, I'll just write it in heaven.

No comments: