Sunday, December 5, 2010

Homeschool and Christmas

I tend to blow off the natural rhythms of life, preferring instead to ascribe to the guilt and shame modality of my Baptist heritage. Life SHOULD be full of grace and truth, fun and diligence, training and recovery.

But I am, apparently, above that nonsense. I work, work, work then fall flat on my face in exhaustion. Looking back I can see patterned played out over and over again.

This is how it looks as it applies to homeschool:

By December we are ready for a break in the routine, plus the holiday season brings with it lots of other commitments. One would think that, I would adjust accordingly. Homeschooling provides that kind of flexibility. NOPE. Traditionally, I hunker down and bust out some school, making every one in my path as miserable about education as I am. Then mid-December, my determination fizzles and I say "screw-it" . I then embrace Christmastime in all its cookie making gluttony. Novice homeschoolers take note:

THIS IS DUMB!

DON'T DO IT!

IT IS NOT SMART!

Plan for Christmastime. Enjoy it. Live up the beauty of homeschool. And for goodness sakes, be okay with taking some time off. This would be much smarter. And this is what I am doing this year.

We're making a recipe book of Christmas goodies and calling it handwriting.
We're gonna read "A Family Under the Bridge" and call it Language.
We're gonna double a candy recipe and calculate the cost of ingredients, and that will be Math.
We will probably read some of Luke, which will of course, be Bible.
Maybe we will make some ornaments: ART.
We're gonna make some cookies, and candies, and that will be science. Because there really is a science to cookie and candy making.
Then were gonna go shopping in the World Vision Catalog and buy us a some ducks and a goat, so that a family escape abject poverty. Maybe that's social studies, but even if it's not were doing it.

There are some beautiful things about homeschool. This December I'm determined to relish them.