Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent, and my dog might die...

I like Jesus better because he was born in a stable. Or a cave. Or whatever. It wasn't the Ritz-Carlton, or St. Josephs Hospital. And I like him better for it.

I can serve a God who can enter into the mess and redeem it. I can love a God who will be with me through the ugliness.

Because, my kid's got special needs.
And my friend 's husband is an alcoholic.
Wellbutrin, and Prozac are close personal friends.
And my puppy might die, despite the vet bills.

There's a kid up the street who's a pothead and breaking his momma's heart.
And there's a guy, a very talented guy, toting so much baggage he is his own worst enemy.
Despite what Hallmark says love cannot heal post-traumatic stress, and malnourishment.
The scars of abuse remain decades after the fact.

I don't need a god of sugarplums and fairies. I'd prefer a little dirt under the nails. Cause that's where I life.

So today, this season, I will worship Emmanuel. GOD WITH US.

No comments: