Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Orphan Sunday

6 years ago God broke my heart for a thing that breaks his - a worldwide orphan crisis.

It never really mended - my heart, that is. And somehow I don't think it was meant to. Millions of orphaned children should chafe at one's soul. Child led households should be disturbing. Babies with cleft palates destined to short lives lived out in institutions - that should keep a person awake at night.

So because God broke my heart for these things, I wrote a little email to the leadership of our church suggesting we host a Orphan Sunday event. I was not at all sure that they would take it seriously. But guess what? They did. We did. And Jacob's Well hosted our first ever Orphan Sunday. I'm sure big churches with big budgets pulled off some impressive events. Ours was simple yet... God was on the move.

One family made a commitment to adopt. Another is seriously considering it. Small groups are supporting child led households. Our church is commiting to help an organization who cares for kids who've aged out of foster care and are living on the streets.

There is a buzz...a rumbling...an undercurrent and a subtext.

I am so excited.

Partly, it's that I know many orphaned kids need to have the church act as their defender. If we are really, truly the hands and feet of Christ, then we need to be feeding, protecting, advocating and caring for the least of these.

But it's more than just that...because in some weird way we (the American church) need these orphans too. We need the to draw us out of the bondage of our own self-absorption. We need them to teach us about joy, and hope. We need them to redefine "treasure" for us. We need them to lead us to the heart of our Father.

When my heart broke for the orphaned child it broke, really and truly. Yet somehow in the process I found that life was bigger than I ever knew, and I found HOPE. I believe that as our little church cares for the things that break God's heart we will find life. Our world will grow. We will grow - both in numbers and in maturity. And I am so excited to see what God will do.

1 comment:

Penelope said...

What an awesome incredible post! Great that Orphan Sunday can plant those seeds.