Sunday, May 24, 2009

Little of this, Little of that

Some women I know have recommended the book, Reckless Faith. While searching on Amazon for it I discovered that John MacArther has a book with a similiar name. It's called "Reckless Faith: Why Christians Today are Passive Idiots. "

Something like that.

Anyhoo, that is NOT the book I'm talking about. The one I'm talking about was written by a girl named Beth. I'm gonna read that one.

Beth and her husband Todd have been involved in orphan care for over a decade; they've lived on the edge. They've seen God work because they've been to places where only the work of God could make any difference. From what I gather, as Beth shares her story she encourages her readers to join her in living where things only makes sense from an eternal perspective. When her life begins to make too much sense, when her decisions are safe, and rational she questions whether she is really living how she should be.

Beth's passion is for the orphan child.

God's passion is for the orphan child.

The Bible says, (paraphrasing here) "Don't mess with the fatherless, don't take advantage of the weak...there defender is strong."

God is a father to the fatherless. He will take up there cause. He places the abandoned in families, and lifts up the oppressed.

Yea, I know hundreds of thousands of kids die, lives wrecked by AIDS, or starvation, or neglect or abuse. But somehow in the crud of it all I still believe that God does care for the orphan child. He cares passionately. And though it makes no sense, and though the evidence sometimes points to the contrary God loves these kids. He has a plan for their lives.

In my admittedly limited experience I have found that as my heart breaks for the things that break God's heart I know Him in a way I never could otherwise. And as I engage the battle for the "least of these" there is evidence of a powerful God at work.

No comments: