Monday, May 14, 2007

Lessons from my almost garden...

The kids and I started some of our garden seeds indoors this year and I'm feeling rather impressed with my home economics-ness (its a word...). Anyway, the beans are really taking off, the peppers have decided not to germinate, and our basil was getting over-croweded. I had to thin out our little basil sprouts this morning to one or two sprouts per container. This is what the back of the seed pack says to do, and I know that if I want to grow healthy basil plants that they must have room to grow. But still , I felt a little sad about having to pluck out perfectly healthy little basil sprouts. They're cute.

There is a life lesson to be learned in all of this: Sometimes you have to pluck the good things out of your life so that the best things have room to grow. We all know that sometimes our lives get cluttered, and we have to clear out the "stuff". We, or at least I, think that the "clutter" is usually bad stuff, or weeds. And this is sometimes true. More often, I think, I just have too many good things going on. I then have to thin out the good things in my life, so that there is room for the best things to flourish. This is a discipline. And this makes me sad. I can only say yes to a few things, otherwise my life becomes anemic and nothing that I do bears fruit.

2 comments:

Jennifer McHam said...

Very deep Stephanie! But so true!! Great to see you this weekend. We are praying for you and your family.
Jenny

Grandma said...

Stephanie---I C you are a beautiful lady. If I was a male I would try to steal you away from Eddie! Noted that you are a "stay at home Mom." How come you have not added that your are and educated MOM???

Grandma