Saturday, April 5, 2008

Death By Peanut Butter Cookies and Other Forms of Idolatry

There's Prozac, Zoloft and Lexapro, and then there is peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. Somewhere in my warped little mind I believe, I mean I truly believe, that cookies are the world's best antidepressants. I know this is technically untrue, but you sure wouldn't know from my behavior. When depression strike and prescription antidepressants aren't cutting it - I bake. Cookies. Pumpkin Bread. Pumpkin chip muffins. I'm a big fan of pumpkin infused baked goods. The sugar rush works for a few minutes, my serotonin levels spike and then crash. And when I come down off my sugar high I feel sick and ....well chubby.

Dave, our pastor, is preaching through Colossians. Today, he unraveled Colossians 3.

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry" Dave read. May Dave stub his little toe; I don't need that kind of conviction in my life. Okay, maybe I do. (God please protect Dave's little toes.)

My baked good dependency is idolatry. You aren't convinced? If you define idolatry as looking to illegitimate sources to meet legitimate needs then cookie addiction is, in fact, idolatry. There is a real chemical jacked-upness going on in my brain when I struggle with depression. Medication helps - and I am pro medication. But God is my healer and my source of peace. A cookie will never do, even a peanut butter chocolate chip one. Alas, pumpkin bread cannot heal, nor can brownies. And when I run to my pantry instead of my Jesus I've got a problem.

Dave says that putting off things that lead to death, and putting on life is a discipline that must be practiced. He got it from the Bible, so it's gotta be true. Minute by minute, hour by hour, I must learn to walk in the grace offered me. I must look to Jesus as my healer, and my source. Cookies lead to death, or at least diabetes, heart disease and too snug blue jeans.

My life is in Christ.

For me death comes by way of cookies. What's it for you? What do you fill you longings with? Is it TV, or video games? Do you believe in mall therapy? Or are you a control freak?

This is what the Bible says,

12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: