Thursday, October 6, 2011

Funny thing just to remember and 13 years.

Abby is cute these days. And sweet. She's just loving preschool and is a sponge. I need to post a picture and tell the stories so I don't forget 4 - it's worth remembering how she sports the superman suit with pink cowboy boots and pig tails. It's worth remembering how she is so proud to write her name.

While Eddie and I were house hunting in California my parents and dear friend, Dawn split kid watching duty. My dad overheard this comment:

" Grandpa has curly hair, Mommy has curly hair. Abby has normal hair. Dad just has a head!"


Love it.

But that daddy with just a head, is her favorite. They've got a special thing going on the two of them.

Caleb - because he is himself, did a funny thing too. He wore his pajamas to school because he thought it was Pajama Day. His siblings told him that it's actually next week. I suggested that he wear jeans and pack jammies just to be safe. But he was surely sure it was today. He was wrong. Luckily, Caleb wears hand-me-down karate pants as jammies, so no one even noticed. Well I'm sure someone noticed, but not for the reason Caleb thought. It's just that red spiderman t-shirts, white Karate pants and brown hiking boots are kinda a fashion statement in and of themselves. He was so utterly unflustered by the whole thing, I wonder if his feet touch the ground at all some days. When I was his age mine rarely did. The drummer in this kid's head plays a rhythm few others hear....and I like it.

Ethan is 5 foot 3 , give or take I figure I have until he is twelve to still be taller than him. How can this be so? I rocked in my arms and then I blinked. He is a young man to be proud of, and I can measure my life in his inches. The Silicon Valley is only a bridge away from our town, and I'm thinking it's just the place for him.You should see the things he invents - he's brilliant and I pray the world will not squash it.

Emma had the good sense to be born in the daytime, and not interrupt my sleep. Emma has good sense. Always. And opinions. Always. She is her father and my sister, Amanda, wrapped up together - though I most distinctly remember giving birth to this child - it's not a thing one forgets. Still she is practical, and hard-hardworking, and a cheerful and sweet. She is a rock-star babysitter even though she is technically too young, she is old too; she's worn a lot of responsibility. Emma is not so much like me but is so many things I admire in the people I like the best.

I'm feeling sick to my stomach sad, and torn about moving next week. It's the big hairy unknown that looms and its autumn in Colorado - my favorite. We are leaving so much. But my favorite things are coming with me. These 4, and the man I love.

And in case I forget in the craziness Happy Nearly Anniversary, Eddie. These 13 years have been a breath and a lifetime. I'm too much a cynic to believe in love at first sight, but with you it was a near thing. And its only gotten better, richer, sweeter, and deeper. I'd move to the moon to be with you.

1 comment:

Eddie Wood said...

Your the best Babe! Love you!