Sunday, September 5, 2010

a hand full of shells...

Theoretically, has settled down for us.

Theoretically.

The actuality is somewhat different.

We may have downshifted, but the RPM are just as high. We've traded in the freeway for off-roading. So while we cover ground more slowly the climb is more intense and it requires more skill in the assent. The slower speed lets me be intentional about the things in which I involve myself. And so many things vie for my attention. Good things. Really good things. Excellent even.

But my energies need to be focused.

I like missions statements. I get geeked about stuff like that, so I'm trying to develop my own.

Here is what I know: When I try to grab hold of life by living for myself...I end up chasing after the wind. I arrive with handfuls of hard won... nothing, and I am empty for all my chasing.

2 Corinthians 5 talks about being compelled by Christ's love to be a part of the ministry of reconcilliation. I know that sounds like a bunch of churchified mumbo-jumbo. Still, it speeks to me because there is nothing so compelling as the love of Christ. Nothing so motivating.
There is a song we sing at church that says " if His love is an ocean then we're all drowning" and it is true. After experiencing the radical, crazy love of Christ there is no going back. Nothing else feels like life...nothing else satisfies. His love engulfs and it changes; it compels me to action.

'Cause when you walk with God the things he cares about become the things you care about. His passions become your passions, and his heartbreak your own.

"Thy kingdom come, thy will be done", becomes an authentic thing.

The particulars for me center around orphan care, issues like fatherlessness, and poverty. They center around engaging the comatose Church in America with the heart of God. For God so loves the American church, now enslaved and chained to the things we have long pursued, that he gave his only son that whosoever believes in him should be disentangled from the consumerism that so easily entangles and experience life, both here and in eternity.

Still working on that missions statement.

No comments: